Monday, July 23, 2012

Prismas on Black!

The challenge this week at CAS-ual Fridays is to make a clean and simple card with a black card base!...

cfc62
The sponsor this week is Lil' Inker Designs!
Lil' Inkers will be giving the winner of this week's challenge a $20 gift certificate to their store...check out their wonderful dies and stamps!!
I decided to go real simple with this challenge and my black base IS my card!!  As some of you may know, I LOVE coloring with Prismacolor pencils!!  I have colored on some different colored cardstock with great success: yellow, gray and one of my favorite kraft colored papers.  When I found out the challenge, I thought,"How cool would it be to try coloring on BLACK??!!   
This is a longer than usual post...had a few things to 'splain:)!!
I used one of my very favorite Hero Arts stamps(Daisies) stamped in versamark and white embossed.  I always use a static bag over the card before stamping....works like a charm at not leaving white specks on the card after embossing. I think it's so funny that all the prismas DON'T work on black, best bet is to try a prismacolor on a scrap piece of paper (black, kraft, gray...whatever color you are working  on) before coloring on your stamped image.  Better to be sorry on scrap paper than to ruin your card with a color  you thought you'd like but hate when you color with it on your card:)!!  This has 2 shades of purple...and two shades of green .  I had actually been waiting on acetate for a couple weeks to finish this card...I thought the sentiment would look so cool on acetate over the image, but have never owned any acetate, so I ordered some. I stamped on it with versamark and then white embossed...OMGoodness ....specks of white everywhere!!  I googled and tried all the suggestions: I tried my static bag, dryer sheet, paint brush to rub off...NOTHING worked to keep the white off!!  Can anyone tell me if they have used acetate and had success and HOW?!  I wound up cutting around the sentiment which cut off most of the specks...I still love the idea of the sentiment on acetate over the image on this card but must admit not the easiest thing to work with!   Hey, gotta let you know of failures along with all the many successes in creating...I need to find a solution and love all this acetate I now have(I actually ordered a second package when my first wasn't coming  on time and I had to finish my card, so now I have not 1 but 2 packages of acetate)!!  But other than that...still LOVING my prismas!!!
 Don't forget to check out the CAS-ual Fridays blog to see what the design team has come up with but don't forget  CAS-ual Fridays on Facebook...you will find yours truly there every Monday and another Girl Friday there every day of the challenge for added inspiration!!  Hope you have a COLORFUL week!!!
Thanks for visiting me today!! Hugs!! Lisa

15 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous! Lovin' those blues!...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I love your card so much! I also love the Prismas and am not very proficient with them so I appreciated the coloring tip! I adore the lilac with the black and white!

    Then you got me intrigued about the acetate. I learned from Ardyth at Maskerade about embossing on a foiled-covered cardboard piece. I've never embossed on acetate before, so I tried it, using Ardyth's tip. I think it worked pretty well. I'll send you a picture via your email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. um I love to help but I avoid acetate if I can...I have trouble enough stamping on it let alone embossing!!! You are a brave crafter :0)
    It goes without saying how stunning your card is...Prisms on black have to look the best and they've covered the texture well...gorgeous card :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your posts Lisa! The card is gorgeous. I too love prismas (haven't got any copics) and am thankful for all of your tips and tricks. You're like the frontier craftswoman who goes boldly where others fear to tread! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous pops of color Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is stunning Lisa. have to say that I'm terrified of acetate (okay well maybe that is a bit strong!), but I rarely use it! Sorry I can't be of more help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing Lisa, the colours are fabulous, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost attempted using my Inktense pencils for this challenge, and chickened out. They work on kraft, so perhaps they'd work on black too? I'll have to try it out! I love your card, Lisa, so happy! I have no advice for acetate. I don't use it (I'm a bit scared). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing, Lisa! I never would have thought to try my Prismas on black cardstock, but you can bet I'll be playing with them in the near future. Thanks for the great advice. I haven't used acetate either, but hopefully someone will have some great tips for using it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those colors are so vibrant on the black, and the sentiment is perfect with it. So sorry about the acetate, and I haven't any answers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so striking! I just won the bid for some Prismacolor pencils on ebay. I hope I can do as well. I love looking at your cards every day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the inspiration! What an interesting technique to try embossing on acetate. It worked on the card-hope you found the perfect solution :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never used actual papercrafting acetate...I use the plastic cover folders from the office supply store (what I already own). Mine MELT under heat...so I don't emboss those! I DO however, run the static bag over BOTH sides...because it's like a magnet on my messy work desk. ;)
    You did such a gorgeous job with your sentiment and brilliant flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful, love the purple on the black.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your card is gorgeous! I'm so unsure about the acetate, I probably shouldn't even mention it, but I think I read somewhere about washing the acetate with dish soap.

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate your comments...thank you, so much, for taking the time to write:)!! Hugs!! Lisa