Sunday, May 1, 2011

Triplet Baby Blues

I made not one or two, but 3 cards cards for Splitcoaststamper's Clean and Simple challenge117...this week's challenge is a color challenge and we are to make a card using chocolate, sand, baby blue and white.  I only have bashful blue marker, but had some paper, so I did blue flowers...one colored with markers, one punched and one cut out. Here is the colored one:
I stamped in early espresso, colored with bashful blue and brocade blue, added ribbon and bow(with Bow Easy), popped up, added cool button- in- a- button(my sand color), and versamarked "hello", embossed with white powder.

  Here's the punched one:


 These window cards always intimidated me a bit, but this card took maybe 20  minutes to make from start to finsh, the frame was easy...I've included a picture of the how I did it...just so you could see how super easy it is!
I cut the white paper to 5 1/4"x 4" and with the 1 3/8" Stampin Up square punch, I punched 4 squares with the non sticky ends of post it notes(the sticky on stick it notes is too sticky and unevenly sticky...hard to work with)...or any scrap paper(colored is best, so you can see them against the white).
 I eye balled the squares onto the white panel, positioning them equidistance between top, sides and each other...making sure they were straight.  I used a little adhesive tape under each square to attach them to  the white panel.
 I then used the square punch and punched out the orange squares:

 What you have left is the window frame:

Super simple...ok...positioning is not SUPER simple...but start in one corner...position one at a time...make sure you only put a very little adhesive on the back...so they just stick...then they're not at all hard to move around...and it will only take minutes to achieve great windows:)!!!

I punched and embossed the flowers, used my Bow Easy to make the bow, and added 1/8" foam stickers on the back of the white panel to pop it up.  I also used my stamp-a-ma-jig to position the sentiment.


I made  the third card with a much loved stamp set from Papertrey Ink, stamping the flowers with early espresso, clear embossing and cutting out.

I made the middles by stamping the circles in the same stamp set  with early espresso and dotting them with a lot of Diamond Glaze and allowing it to dry...they dry kind of lumpy, then sticking the centers onto the flowers.  After making the flowers, I still had the sand color of the challenge to use, so I got the idea to make a punched border behind the flowers.  Some time ago, I had seen a demo showing how to punch a border panel with Martha Stewart edge punches on the Michael's website. I decided to try a different edge punch and see what it looked like...this is what I did :
Put a 1" piece of dark brown paper in the punch at a specific place(the dip in the design)
 and punch the whole strip across.

 Then you line the unpunched side at the exact same place on the OTHER SIDE of the punch(at the same dip):
 And this is what you get:

 Just for the heck of it...here are a couple more...this one it the one I used to make a card when I saw it on the Michael's website:
 And here's yet another one:  these are the only 3 I have like this, but it seems to work on them all....I thought it was really cool:)!!:

To finish the card, I used a strip of kraft behind the punched border...I think it was 3/4" wide...not sure.
Layered  on bazzill white and added a Papertrey Ink sentiment.

Things I used:
Stamps: Penny Black, Stampendous,  Stampin Up Teeny Tiny Wishes, Papertrey Ink Beautiful Blooms, Birthday Basics
Paper: Bashful Blue, Bazzill white and Java, Papertrey Ink white, kraft
Ink: Early Espresso, bashful blue, brocade blue
Extra: Martha Stewart Daisy and border punches, Stampin Up square and 1/2" circle punches, embossing folders, diamond glaze, SU ribbon, pop up dots, clear embossing powder, Bow Easy

I thank you for looking, I hope you have a GREAT day:)!!!

10 comments:

  1. I found your site from Splitcoast. I love these cards especially the Daisy and border one. Many CAS cards look minimal to me. Yours look elegant . I think I will try CAS cards. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous CAS cards! My fave is # 3 !!
    Thanks for sharing how to do the cool punched border!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three beautiful cards! I can't decide which I like the best! Thanks for showing how to punch the windows. I'd like to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards...every one of them. Love the borders!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog today and LOVE love LOVE your card ideas! Thanks for sharing all your WONDERFUL ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideea, thanks for sharring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW... Love it.... Just REAlly needed some ideas for this punch and i'lll put it to much use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card I like the concept for punching 4 squares very good I just need to be able to find one in the shops the border punch idea was a cracker well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is "cas"? I see that all the time but not sure what it means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! CAS means Clean And Simple...cards that are made having few elements, embellishments, layers...often times cards with lots of white space(empty space) on a card. Hope that helps😊

      Delete

I so appreciate your comments...thank you, so much, for taking the time to write:)!! Hugs!! Lisa